Health Subcommittee Hearing on MedPAC’s June Report to Congress
Tthe Subcommittee on Health will hold a hearing on the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission’s (MedPAC) June report to the Congress. The report details the Commission’s recommendations for reforming Medicare payment policies. The Subcommittee will hear from MedPAC’s Executive Director, Mark E. Miller, Ph.D. The hearing will take place on Wednesday, June 18, 2014, in 1100 Longworth House Office Building, beginning at 10:00 A.M.
MedPAC advises Congress on Medicare payment policy. The Commission is required by law to submit two reports to Congress on an annual basis. The first report reviews Medicare payment policies and is due by March 15. The second report examines specific issues facing Medicare and is due by June 15.
In its June 2014 report, MedPAC examines:
- The need to compare Medicare’s policies across traditional fee-for-service, Medicare Advantage, and Accountable Care Organizations;
- Policy options for financial assistance for low-income beneficiaries in the context of its June 2012 recommendation to restructure the Medicare benefit design;
- Whether changes to Medicare’s risk adjustment methodology, which accounts for severity of patient illness, can improve payment accuracy;
- Payment changes to bolster primary care and ensure access to these services;
- How payments to Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs) and Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) differ for the treatment of similar patients; and
- The impact of improved medication adherence on overall Medicare spending.
Focus of the Hearing
The hearing will focus on MedPAC’s June 2014 Report to Congress.
WATCH the hearing here.