Worker & Family Support
The Worker & Family Support Subcommittee authorizes and oversees a range of critical supports for workers, children, and families. Specifically, the Subcommittee oversees
- the federal-state unemployment insurance program, which provides earned benefits to workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own;
- the child support enforcement program, which collects support for children from non-custodial parents;
- the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, which provides flexible funds to states for the purpose of providing income support and other assistance to move parents from welfare to work;
- the Child Care Entitlement, which provides part of the federal support for child care assistance;
- the Social Services Block Grant, which provides $1.7 billion a year in flexible funds for a wide range of state-provided social services ranging from child care to Meals on Wheels, and is the largest source of federal funding for child and adult protective services;
- foster care and other services provided to help abused or neglected children become safe at home or move into permanent families via adoption or guardianship;
- the Supplemental Security Income program (SSI), which provides modest income support to very poor seniors and severely disabled children and adults; and
- the Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting program (MIECHV), which funds evidence based home visiting services to improve maternal and child health and development.
House Ways and Means Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Chairman Danny K. Davis announced today that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing, titled “Celebrating Fathers and Families: Federal Support for Responsible Fatherhood” on Tuesday, June 11, at 2:00 PM in room 2020 Rayburn House Office Building.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard E. Neal (D-MA), Oversight Subcommittee Chairman John Lewis (D-GA), and Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Chairman Danny K.
WASHINGTON, DC – Ways & Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) and Worker & Family Support Subcommittee Chairman Danny K. Davis (D-IL) today released the following joint statement on the U.S.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Ways & Means Committee Chairman Richard E. Neal (D-MA), Social Security Subcommittee Chairman John B. Larson (D-CT), and Worker and Family Support Subcommittee Chairman Danny K.