After fueling an inflation crisis that has health care premiums at their highest in years, Democrats cut Medicare and seniors’ access to breakthrough medicines and raised taxes for families. Now the White House is dodging accountability and distorting statements to mislead the public about Republicans’ Commitment to America.
Ways and Means Republican Leader Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) blasted the White House for altering his statement on Democrats’ cure-killing agenda by omitting key facts.
“Thanks to President Biden, inflation has crushed seniors and wrecked their retirement plans. Democrats’ only solution is to raise taxes on the middle class, ram through even more inflationary spending, and to limit access to breakthrough medicines.
“Democrats’ policies have led to historically high health care costs, including the largest price increase in Medicare history, and their dangerous drug pricing scheme will lead to fewer cures.Republicans believe in a bipartisan approach that stops the worst abusers from gaming the system and lowers costs for patients, without sacrificing life saving new cures and innovations.
“And Democrats’ false claims about tax reform have been thoroughly debunked. Thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, paychecks were going up twice as fast as inflation. Every month families were getting ahead, not falling further and further behind every month as they are in Biden’s cruel economy. Even the Joint Committee on Taxation warns that Democrats’ plans to repeal TCJA would be a tax hike on the middle class – and a tax cut for the wealthy.”
Here’s what you need to know.
White House Fudges Brady Quote to Hide Studies Showing Democrats’ Drug Pricing Scheme Leads to Fewer Cures
Axios reported in September that Rep. Brady pointed to the danger of Democrats’ drug price controls based on repeated studies highlighting the devastating effects of the scheme. The White House rewrote the quote to omit the bolded words:
“Because those drug provisions are so dangerous,by discouraging investment in life-saving cures, I would imagine that will be a top priority for Republicans in the new session.”
This statement was based on empirical evidence:
- CBO confirmed that Democrats’ bill would raise the costs of new drugs, crush innovation, and kill hundreds of cures.
- A Vital Transformation study finds that if drug price controls under consideration in the Senate had been enacted during the last decade, only six of 110 currently approved therapies would have made it to patients.
- And experts find that Democrats’ price-fixing scheme would kill up to 342 cures, according to a study by the University of Chicago.
- Yet top Biden officials have refused to respond to congressional calls for transparency in how they will protect Americans from losing access to cures resulting from these price controls.
White House Omits Highest Increase in Health Care Prices in History to Attack Republicans:
Under President Biden, health care prices rose nearly 30 percent in the last year, the largest increase on record. Yet Democrats have offered:
- Medicare Part B premiums reached a historic high during the Biden Administration, and seniors are only getting a partial refund on what they’ve already paid.
- Democrats’ so-called “Inflation Reduction Act” one-size-fits-all Obamacare subsidies increase the cost of health care.
- Between 2013 and 2019, the average price paid for health insurance (“premiums”) jumped by 143 percent. At the same time that premiums more than doubled in the individual market, deductibles for ACA-compliant coverage also increased by an average of 35 percent — over $1,700 for individuals and $3,600 for families.
White House Repeats Twice Debunked Zombie Claim That Republicans Want to Cut Social Security and Medicare:
Tax Reform Led to Higher Wages Outpacing Inflation – the Opposite of Democrats’ Inflationary “Stimulus”
- In the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, we lifted 6 million Americans out of poverty almost overnight.
- For the first time in half a century, income inequality began to shrink.
- Paychecks were going up twice as fast as inflation. Every month they were getting ahead, not every month falling further and further behind as they are in President Biden’s cruel economy.
- The Joint Committee on Taxation warns that Democrats’ plans to repeal tax reform would be a tax hike on the middle class – and a tax cut for the wealthy.”