Washington, D.C. – House Committee on Ways and Means Chairman Jason Smith (MO-08) announced that the Committee will hold a field hearing on Trade in America: Securing Supply Chains and Protecting the American Worker. The hearing will take place Tuesday, May 9, 2023, in Staten Island, New York.
“Too often Washington’s trade policies have failed to protect American workers, families, farmers, and small businesses, and when any competitive advantage is ceded to communist China, it means American workers lose out. That is unacceptable. We must establish a level playing field on which to compete with China while enforcing existing trade laws. The Ways and Means Committee’s first field hearing on Trade in America taking place in Staten Island will focus on how the United States can hold China accountable, stop unfair and illicit trade practices, secure our critical supply chains, and ensure America has the tools to compete and win. As Chairman, I am committed to giving Americans directly impacted by these issues a voice in developing policies that will refocus America’s trade agenda on protecting workers and strengthening our economy.”
|WHAT:||Field hearing on Trade in America: Securing Supply Chains and Protecting the American Worker – Staten Island|
|DATE:||Tuesday, May 9, 2023|
|TIME:||10:00 AM EST|
|WHERE:||Global Container Terminals New York in Staten Island, New York|
|PRESS RSVP:||Due to limited seating capacity, press who wish to attend in-person should RSVP to JP Freire, Tim Foster, and Dylan Chandler.|
Members will be joined by the following witnesses:
- Dale Hemminger, Owner, Hemdale Farms Dairy and Greenhouses
- John Atkins, President, Global Container Terminals New York
- Nury Turkel, Chair, U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom
- John Romano, CEO, Tronox
Additional witnesses may be announced prior to the hearing.
How to Watch the Hearing:
Members of the press who wish to attend in-person should RSVP with the Committee staff listed above. Those who are unable to attend in-person can access a livestream on the Ways and Means Committee YouTube channel. NOTE: The livestream will not be available until the hearing starts.
About the Hearing:
- The House Committee on Ways and Means is holding hearings across the United States to highlight the real issues our nation is facing outside the Washington beltway and develop trade policies that will ensure a stronger economic future.
- Ways and Means Committee members are listening to American workers, families, farmers, and small businesses who are impacted by U.S. trade policy in one way or another every day.
- These conversations will focus on holding China accountable, securing our critical supply chains, opening new and enforcing access to markets for U.S. products, stopping unfair and illicit trade practices, and ensuring America’s competitiveness. An open and honest discussion will determine the policies coming out of the Committee and Congress.
- The Trade in America: Securing Supply Chains and Protecting the American Worker hearing will take place in Staten Island, New York with more field hearings in additional locations to follow.
Recap of Georgia Field Hearing: In Georgia, Small Businesses Share How GOP Pro Growth Tax Plans Continue to Make a Difference
Recap of Oklahoma Field Hearing: In the Heartland, Ways and Means Committee Listens to Working Americans’ Struggles in Biden Economy
Recap of West Virginia Field Hearing: At West Virginia Field Hearing, Americans Expose the Painful Reality of Living & Working in Biden’s Economy.