On the House Floor This Week: W&M Legislation to Improve Health Care in America
As the Senate considers the American Health Care Act (AHCA), the House is moving forward on a parallel track to advance legislation that protects and expands Americans’ access to patient-centered care. This week, the House will consider three bills that all focus on this important goal.
The Verify First Act, sponsored Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA):
- Protects taxpayer dollars from waste, fraud, and abuse by verifying a person’s eligibility before they can receive financial support to purchase insurance – either with Obamacare’s subsidies or with the American Health Care Act’s monthly tax credits, when they take effect.
- Builds off of the American Health Care Act, which expressly defines who is eligible to receive monthly tax credits and includes strong safeguards to prevent fraud and abuse.
The VETERAN Act, sponsored by Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX):
- Puts an existing regulation into law, ensuring veterans will continue to have access to help purchase health insurance – with Obamacare’s subsidies and the monthly tax credits provided by the American Health Care Act, when they take effect.
The Broader Options for Americans Act (BOAA), sponsored by Rep. Pat Tiberi (R-OH):
- Helps people who recently lost their job continue using the insurance they received through work by providing access to the American Health Care Act’s monthly tax credits.
- Applies to Americans who have similar coverage provided through churches or other houses of worship.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the bills.