The Washington Post fact checked for the second time what they referred to as Democrats’ “zombie claim” that 83 percent of the benefits from Republican tax reform in 2017 went to the wealthiest 1 percent.
The Post gave the claim “three pinocchios”, saying:
“…The tax bill has been in place for more than three years and it’s clear from the available data that the top 1 percent did not end up with most of the tax benefits.”
CLICK HERE to read the full analysis.
It’s Time to Retire Democrats’ Repeated False Claims About TCJA
- The false claim that 83 percent of tax cuts flow to the top 1 percent rely on data produced by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center (TPC) for the year 2027. The data ignore expiring provisions for individuals in tax reform that don’t reflect today’s reality. But not even the left-leaning Tax Policy Center supports President Biden’s numbers.
- From WaPo: “The reality is that in 2018, TPC found that initially more than 80 percent of taxpayers would get a tax cut, with less than 5 percent getting a tax increase.”
- FactCheck.org debunked this tired talking point more than three years ago, calling it misleading. The New York Times said, “Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut.”
The Facts Show Republican Tax Reform Helped All Americans.
- Republican tax reform reduced taxes across the board, raising incomes for Americans at every income level.
- After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (2017), real wages grew 4.9 percent, the fastest two-year growth in real wages in 20 years.
- Incomes for black, Hispanic, and Asian Americans saw record increases and unemployment fell to all-time lows under TCJA.
- More than 6 million people were lifted out of poverty, and the poverty rate fell to 10.5 percent, the lowest level in U.S. history.