Skip to content

Administration Boosts Health Care Funding to Help Children, Vulnerable Citizens

June 10, 2020

Key points: 

-The Department of Health and Human Services is distributing billions more in Congressionally-directed Provider Relief funding toward providers who serve our most vulnerable Americans.

-HHS said they expect to distribute nearly $15 billion this week toward providers, like those who serve patients who rely on Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

-HHS also announced the distribution of $10 billion this week to safety net hospitals that serve our most vulnerable citizens.


President Trump is delivering funds to providers, like pediatricians, obstetrician-gynecologists, dentists, opioid treatment and behavioral health providers, assisted living facilities and other home and community-based services providers, who serve some of the most vulnerable populations as we continue to fight COVID-19. While, the initial General Distribution provided payments to approximately 62 percent of all providers participating in state Medicaid and CHIP programs, this Medicaid and CHIP Targeted distribution will make the Provider Relief Fund available to the remaining 38 percent. Clinicians that participate in state Medicaid and CHIP programs and/or Medicaid and CHIP managed care organizations who have not yet received General Distribution funding may submit their annual patient revenue information to the enhanced Provider Relief Fund Portal to receive a distribution equal to at least 2 percent of reported gross revenues from patient care.

Qualifying safety net hospitals will receive a minimum distribution of $5 million and a maximum distribution of $50 million via direct deposit.

“Healthcare providers who focus on treating the most vulnerable Americans, including low-income and minority patients, are absolutely essential to our fight against COVID-19,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said. “HHS is using funds from Congress, secured by President Trump, to provide new targeted help for America’s safety-net providers and clinicians who treat millions of Medicaid beneficiaries.”

Want to read more on the fight against Coronavirus? Read our Coronavirus Bulletin here which contains our extensive FAQ about recent federal actions.

Was this message forwarded to you? CLICK HERE to subscribe to our emails.