“An accountable government isn’t a bloated one empowered to target taxpayers, which is why we are working together to defund the Biden Administration’s plan to hire 87,000 new employees to audit American taxpayers,” writes Ways and Means Member Rep. Adrian Smith (R-NE) and Rep. Michelle Steel (R-CA) in an op-ed for Fox News drawing attention to the Biden Administration’s insidious IRS scheme targeting working families.
While voting to supercharge the IRS with 87,000 new agents, Democrats opposed guardrails that would have protected lower- and middle-income taxpayers from more audits.
Democrats’ plan turns a blind eye to government waste and abuse, and empowers the IRS to target middle-class families.
- “Of the $80 billion, only $3.2 billion is slated to go toward taxpayer services. New audits and enforcement? $45 billion, not counting the funding that would indirectly support audits by allowing for rulemaking and beefing up the budget in the Office of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.”
- “Many have suggested that the threat of 87,000 new IRS employees to help conduct these audits is a partisan conspiracy theory. We can assure you it is not. Previously released guidance from President Biden’s Department of Treasury stated $80 billion in new funding would be utilized to hire some 87,000 employees.”
- “Ninety percent of Inflation Act funding going toward increasing and supporting audits to pay for Democrats’ priorities and only 10 percent going toward customer service and IT modernization, it’s clear what these employees will be hired to do.”
As inflation ravages the country, the last thing American families need is to be targeted forIRS audits.
- “Record-high inflation has driven up the cost of everything from food to fuel, and our supply chain challenges show no sign of resolution. While some employers are struggling to find workers, others are preparing layoffs, and paychecks just aren’t stretching as far as they used to.”
- “Families everywhere are questioning if they can afford everyday necessities, assuming they can find them on store shelves. For months families across the country have been dealing with these crises and instead of finding solutions, Democrats in Washington have added fuel to the fire by spending trillions we don’t have.”
Republicans will protect Americans from President Biden’s supercharged IRS.
- “House Republicans recently released our Commitment to America – our policy agenda to bring our country out of crisis and back on the path to prosperity. A key pillar of this agenda is working to ensure the government works for you, not against you.”
- “An accountable government isn’t a bloated one empowered to target taxpayers, which is why we are working together to defund the Biden administration’s plan to hire 87,000 new employees to audit American taxpayers. Our bill, the Family and Small Business Taxpayer Protection Act, would rescind the IRS funding for enforcement and leave in place the funding for improvements to customer service and technology.”
- “Republican Minority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy has said one of the first orders of business in the new Congress will be to defund these new IRS agents. This is the first of many important steps House Republicans will take to help right the wrongs of a Democrat-controlled Washington.”