Ways and Means Republicans will hold a roundtable titled Republican Meeting on “The Benefits of Innovation and How Socialist Price-Setting Kills Life-Saving Cures.” on Thursday, October 14th from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm EDT.
THEMES FOR MEETING:
- Democrats’ dangerous and false choice offers lower prices on drugs now in exchange for fewer life-saving drugs in the future.
- Democrats’ proposals will put Washington in control of Americans’ medical decisions.
- Any cure lost is one too many. Democrats rejected amendments to preserve access to cures for rare diseases and cures to help alleviate the racial health disparities that were so apparent during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Pelosi drug plan would lead to a reduction up to 60 percent or 342 cures in R&D according to the University of Chicago, including for devastating diseases like Alzheimers, Parkinson’s, ALS, and diabetes
- The Democrats’ plan will make us more reliant on China, ship investment and jobs overseas, and stifle the research and development pipeline that keeps our seniors healthy.
- Republicans’ plan, the Lower Costs, More Cures Act, is proof that we can lower the cost of drugs without sacrificing innovation.
John Crowley, CEO of Amicus Therapeutics.
John F. Crowley is the Chairman and CEO of Amicus Therapeutics, a 500 person global biotechnology company developing medicine for people living with rare genetic diseases. John’s involvement with biotechnology stems from the 1998 diagnosis of two of his children with Pompe disease—a severe and often fatal neuromuscular disorder.
John and his family are the subjects of a book by Pulitzer prize-winning journalist Geeta Anand, “The Cure: How a Father Raised $100 Million-And Bucked the Medical Establishment-In a Quest to Save His Children.” The major motion picture, Extraordinary Measures, starring Brendan Fraser and Harrison Ford, is inspired by the Crowley family journey. John is also the author of a personal memoir: Chasing Miracles: The Crowley Family Journey of Strength, Hope, and Joy.
John also served as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy Reserve, assigned to the United States Special Operations Command and is a veteran of the global war on terrorism, with service in Afghanistan.
This meeting will take place virtually via Cisco WebEx video conferencing.
Members of the public may view the meeting via live webcast available on the Ways and Means Committee Republicans YouTube page HERE.