Washington, DC – Ways and Means Chairman Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) and Oversight Subcommittee Chairman Charles Boustany (R-LA) sent a letter to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Commissioner Douglas Shulman today seeking information about how the IRS is spending monies its received from the $1 billion Health Insurance Reform Implementation Fund (“HIRIF”) – a fund established by the Democrats’ health care law. In the letter, the Chairmen requested that the IRS provide documents to the Committee so that both lawmakers and taxpayers have a better understanding of how the funds are being used. Specifically, the Chairmen asked the IRS to provide the following information by May 12:
- All IRS Expenditure Plans related to the HIRIF;
- The total amounts IRS requested from HHS for FY 2010 and 2011;
- The total amounts IRS received from HHS for FY 2010 and 2011;
- The total number of full time employees performing health care overhaul-related work for both FY 2010 and 2011;
- Whether IRS plans to request additional HIRIF funds in the future, and if so, the estimated amount and purpose of the request; and
- All correspondence, including email, between the IRS and the Office of Management and Budget regarding the Government Accountability Office’s request for any of the above information and all discussions to withhold or delay providing the information.
Read the full text of the letter here.