W&M GOP, Dems Introduce Package of Bills to Redesign IRS
Washington, D.C – Today, Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight Chairman Lynn Jenkins (R-KS) and Oversight Ranking Member John Lewis (D-GA) released a package of bills to redesign the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the first time in over 20 years.
Upon releasing this package of bipartisan bills, House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX), Ranking Member Richard Neal (D-MA), Oversight Chairman Jenkins, and Oversight Ranking Member Lewis released the following statement:
“Throughout this process over the past year and a half, we have kept one singular mission in mind: ensuring that the taxpayer comes first. These bipartisan bills take a giant leap forward in redesigning an agency that all Americans deal with throughout their lifetime. By enhancing customer service, improving the IRS’s vastly outdated IT infrastructure, and modernizing the appeals process, we are confident these bills will improve the taxpayer experience.”
Included in this package are:
- H.R. ____, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modernize and improve the Internal Revenue Service, and for other purposes.”
- H.R. ____, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to improve cybersecurity and taxpayer identity protection, and modernize the information technology of the Internal Revenue Service, and for other purposes.”
- H.R. 2901, “Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Permanence Act of 2017”
- H.R. 5440, “To require notice from the Secretary of the Treasury in the case of any closure of a Taxpayer Assistance Center.”
- H.R. 5438, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow officers and employees of the Department of the Treasury to provide to taxpayers information regarding low-income taxpayer clinics.”
- H.R. ____, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to restrict the immediate sale of seized property by Secretary of the Treasury to perishable goods.”
- H.R. 5437, “To require the Secretary of the Treasury to establish a program for the issuance of identity protection personal identification numbers.”
- H.R. 5439, “To provide for a single point of contact at the Internal Revenue Service for the taxpayers who are victims of tax-related identity theft.”
- H.R. ____, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require electronic filing of the annual returns of exempt organizations and provide for making such returns available for public inspection.”
*The four bills listed as “H.R. ___” are expected to be introduced in the House later today.
CLICK HERE to learn more about our Committee’s bipartisan efforts to redesign the IRS.